Current versus Permanent MAC

I’m using the latest Kali version as of today (11/2/17), and just got the Alfa AWUS036NHA you recommended. I noticed that my current MAC is different from my permanent MAC.

Typing “macchanger -s wlan0”, I get:

Current MAC: de:72:0d:61:93:20 (unknown)
Permanent MAC: 00:c0:ca:96:c9:ba (ALFA, INC.)

After taking the interface down, and typing “macchanger -r wlan0”, I get:

Current MAC: da:67:c5:67:3c:77 (unknown)
New MAC: 66:77:49:52:49:36 (unknown)

Note that the Current MAC is different.

Then, after bring up the interface, and typing “macchanger -s wlan0” again, I get:

Current MAC: 42:65:1f:ed:0a:86 (unknown)

So, I’m getting three Current MACS for the only wireless adapter I have plugged in, and none of them are the same as the permanent MAC.

What’s going on here?

Thanks, I’m really enjoying the course so far.

• Russ

The permanent mac is the real one. That shouldn’t change .

What does ifconfig tell you?

Also see
https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?36297-Updated-Guide-How-to-make-random-MAC-address-at-each-boot

If config gives yet another address:

wlan0: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ether 2e:72:a6:6a:d6:0a txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)

So why, before I make any changes at all, is my Current MAC different from my Permanent MAC? And, why do I have so many different Current MAC addresses after using Macchanger, dependent on which command I use to view them?

Plus, if I type “ip link show wlan0”, I get this:
3: wlan0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DOWN mode DORMANT group default qlen 1000
link/ether fe:e5:8d:36:7a:f0 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

Thanks for your help.

I can’t tell you why.

“I can’t tell you why.”

Yeah, welcome to my life, I guess. I ran into a ton of problems like this while taking the Udemy CCSC (I’m in the middle of the second course, I paused it to do Nmap and this course) - weird little things that didn’t really interfere as much as just didn’t work like they were supposed to.

Oh well, onward through the fog. I’m going to try it on a laptop I set up as dedicated Kali, just to see. Thanks anyway.

You will find lots of stuff like this. Especially with free and not well-supported software.