Failed to open/create the internal network

Hello Jesse - I started setting up VirtualBox with Kali Linux 2020. It installs fine, however, when I use the network configurations that you provide I get the following error, "Failed to open/create the internal network ‘HostInterfaceNetworking-VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter’ (VERR_INTET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND). Failed to attach the network LUN (VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND). Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005) Component: ConsoleWrap Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

The only way I can get the VM to start is by setting up the 2nd Adaptor as a Bridge Adaptor. Has anyone else had this issue?

Regards,

Dale Singletary

did you try this?

@Dale_Singletary,

Try deleting and re-adding the host-only network in VirtualBox manager…

File > Host Network Manager

If you don’t already have a host-only network, create one by clicking create. Make sure DHCP server has “enable” checked.

At first, I was only getting inet6 addresses, now I have both inet and inet6 on adapter eth0 so I guess I’m on the right track. But… commands like “service smbd restart && dhclient eth0” takes a few minutes to execute. I have 10GB enabled for the Kali VM, but my host laptop only has 16GB (maxxed out). Boot time takes a few minutes as well. And that’s with only one VM open. Is this maybe not enough total RAM? Do I need to consider buying a new computer?

You will never need 10 GB of RAM for Kali @cuvtixo. You should not give more than 4 GB to Kali. I would suggest you look at the processes in your Kali and see which services is eating up your RAM. You don’t need to buy a new laptop, 16 GB is enough, and you can run more than 1 VM on it very efficiently.

@cuvtixo, I agree with @Apurv-StationX on this one, although the more RAM/CPU resources the better because it’ll be faster that way obviously. I have overkill with 64 GB RAM on mine, but you shouldn’t have too many problems with 16 GB. Maybe you’re running too many programs at once?

Security Onion- okay, maybe I can get by with Kali, but Security Onion for “Snort Intrusion Detection, Rule Writing, and PCAP Analysis” looks right out. I’m going to try to setup something using a VPC in AWS: https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/ apparently “you can only mirror a single network interface, to a single monitoring interface in a session, and you can only have 3 sessions per target address.” I don’t know what that means at this point, but… maybe fun?