Hands-on Penetration Testing Labs 1.0

Hi,

I have a question about the Hands-on Penetration Testing Labs 1.0 class. There is a video titled Bonus Lab - Kali Linux 2020 and right after that a video called Download and Configure Kali Linux. Should that one be skipped since 2020 was installed previously? I’m guessing so but just want to make sure. My experience with these types of classes is that the VMs need to be installed and configured exactly as the videos show or there will be errors. I understand that fixing errors is the way to really learn but sometimes I just want to get through a class and learn about the tool or concept and not spend days or perhaps weeks trying to fix an error that a newer VM might fix and an updated video would be nice.

thanks,
Mike

Hi, you can just go through the video for the configuration part. Maybe the configuration is a little different than the one you installed previously. Sometimes some old version of VMs run fine for a particular tool and the newer version doesn’t and that’s true in real-world scenarios also. We have to figure out which version of a particular tool works with which version of the VM and then accordingly do a setup.