How can I fix apt error "W: Target Packages ... is configured multiple times"?

Hello i have problem to fix apt error when i try to update signal on terminal i have this when i try to update it’s in french :
W: La cible Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) est spécifiée plusieurs fois dans /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list:1 et /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list:2
W: La cible Contents-deb (main/Contents-amd64) est spécifiée plusieurs fois dans /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list:1 et /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list:2
W: La cible Contents-deb (main/Contents-all) est spécifiée plusieurs fois dans /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list:1 et /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list:2
W: La cible Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) est spécifiée plusieurs fois dans /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list:1 et /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list:2

It looks like the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list file has duplicate lines, specifically lines 1 and 2 of the file. Apt is finding multiple entries for the same package or repository, which is throwing it off.

Try deleting one of the duplicate lines to see if that fixes it.

There is more information about that error here:

Hello Jered thanks . i have just another question this problem to resolve in not on ubuntu distribution i’m on kali linux it’s the same ?

Yep! Kali and Ubuntu are based on the same distribution (Debian), so their package management systems are similar. Check that file and see if the first two lines are the same, and if they are, delete one of the lines.

1 Like