Issue with What is a MAC Address & How To Change It

I am having an issue changing the MAC address for wlan0 to 00:11:22:33:44:55. After entering the command ifconfig wlan0 down and then the command ifconfig wlan0 hw ether 00:11:22:33:44:55, I get an error SIOCSIFHWADDR: Operation not permitted. I am a user root@kali and have even tried this command with the keyword sudo at the beginning. I do not know how else I am supposed to get permission to edit the MAC address. I am following the lectures using Kali Rolling (2019.4) in a virtual environment. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Danny

I found the issue by accident/trial and error. Apparently the MAC address cannot be changed when monitor mode is enabled. That is what caused the error shown above. I do not understand why that would cause the issue, but I am happy that I solved it. If anyone else has this issue, check if monitor mode is enabled through the command airmon-ng start wlan0 (Where wlan0 is, put whatever your external wifi card pops up as. For me it was wlan0.) If you see text that states that monitor mode already enabled for your external wifi card, stop monitor mode by first using the command airmon-ng check kill and then using the command airmon-ng stop wlan0 (Or whatever your wifi card name pops up as). You will then be able to change the MAC address for your wifi card.

1 Like