It this truthful?

Instructor spoke about PGP and GPG encryption where he highlighted ProtonMail using
OpenPGP for its email encryption algorithm. Then the instructor says that someone who sends email through ProtonMail to say someone using gmail such message could be intercepted and decrypted as opposed to someone who sends email from ProtonMail to another ProtonMail account.

Since Google is using SSL connection to serve all its services is that truthful statement ? HTTPS is encrypted as well therefore sending email from ProtonMail (using OpenPGP) to gmail shouldn’t be insecure.

Please correct me where I am wrong.

Gmail is incredibly popular and offers a reasonable amount of security. But ProtonMail offers a lot more. With its end-to-end encryption, no one can access your messages except you and your intended recipient, not even the people who work at ProtonMail.

Gmail, meanwhile, can not only view your data but can actually share it with third party companies who can then send you targeted ads.

Having said all that, Gmail does have its good points. For one thing, it’s owned by Google, so its app and desktop version are really easy to use and it offers much more in the way of customer support. if you’re even slightly concerned about your online privacy, ProtonMail is a much safer choice.

I’ve been ProtonMail user for the last 3 years or so and using their VPN solution for the last
year thus I don’t need to be convinced about what an amazing job those folks are doing.

Everyone who’s at least little bit technology-savvy knows about what Google is doing and isn’t speaking openly about. After all its their business model. Google gives you all its services and products to use “for free” in exchange for being allowed to monetize your data. If you don’t like Google or Microsoft selling your data to third parties you gotta ditch them and go for privacy-minded solutions.

I reckon what the instructor was really referring to is that even though email sent from ProtonMail’s server to gmail is secured and encrypted it doesn’t mean gmail’s scanner won’t
take advantage of whatever it finds once the email is decrypted.