Kali Linux not showing wlan0 (Learn Ethical hacking from scratch)

Sorry if this isn’t in the right category but this is my first post and I am new to the forum. I am currently undertaking the “learn ethical hacking from scratch” I am currently up to the part where I need to connect a wifi adapter so Kali Linux.

When attempting to do so, virtual box recognises that the adapter is there and it is a selectable option within the devices when Kali Linux is open. When Kali Linux is open, the internet no longer works on my host computer so I take that as it somewhat working, though on the little usb on the bottom right, it shows no activity where it should be showing a green light.

I have tried plenty of terminal commands. If I type in ifconfig I only get eth0 and lo, no wlan0. I’ve got the latest Kali Linux zsecurity, I have upgraded and updated everything within the terminal, reset network manager etc etc. I then thought it may be my wireless adapter, which is a Netgear A6210 so I even went and bought another one which is supposed to be compatible with Kali linux, yet I still have the same problem. As the current last resort I deleted the entire thing and did a fresh install so I know that everything is fresh…Same problem. I am new to this kind of thing but that’s why I’m learning, could anyone who is patient enough take the time to help me?

First of all, if you are using Zaid’s Kali Linux, I would advise against updating and upgrading as it might break certain packages.
Try installing the latest version of Kali from their official website and check if your adaptor works there or not. Another thing that you can try is going to Settings and configuring a new network adaptor

Try to follow steps from this website also: https://virtuallyonit.com/2018/09/10/install-a-wireless-adapter-on-kali-linux/

I was hopeful when you commented.

I followed the instructions to the very detail. It seemed like it was going well up until after the lsusb. When I type in lsusb it seems as if the system is seeing the device but not doing anything with it, it shows:
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:c811 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 802.11ac NIC
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 80ee:0021 VirtualBox USB Tablet
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Then I get to running the iwconfig and ifconfig commands only to be disappointingly met with this

Edit: Could it possibly be to do with the adapter that I am using? it said specifically on the site that it is compatible with Kali, so could it be a driver issue?
The adapter I am using:

Edit: when I do “ifconfig wlan0 down” I get the response of “wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device”. I’m trying so hard to do this but every youtube I go to tells me to download and outdated version of compat wireless that I’m pretty sure is not even available anymore. I can’t even get past the first bitch of this course without sorting this out first :confused:

I never heard of this wireless adaptor tbh. I don’t know if you can buy another one or not so I will not suggest that. But if you can then you should go with Alpha. If cannot, then try to use Kali as a live system. You can do this by booting Kali in a USB and then start that while booting up your PC. Try to see if the adaptor works there or not. Also, you may try VMWare if you are using Virtualbox or vice versa.

I somehow got it to show wlan0 and I can change it to monitor mode and do pretty much everything in the course, but I can’t actually connect to an internet connection when attempting to choose a connection. All of this is a bit weird but I guess it works anyway? Thank you for your help anyway :slight_smile: