Metager - Google great alternative

Dear All,

First of all, congratulations for the great community we have. As all of you, I love learning.

On the other hand, regarding Google alternatives, I would like to suggest Metager from Germany https://metager.org/. I did not find it in The Complete Cyber Security Course! Volume 2. However, I highly recommend it for their privacy. They are not located in USA which is something to consider as they would not be forced to provide your data.

Daniel

This looks good but untested. There are already good alternatives to Google like DuckDuckGo. I have never heard of this wbsite, will have to check.

If you are looking for better alternatives to the search engine itself you can check this instead: https://www.startpage.com/

I highly recommend it. I started using Metager 2 years ago and they do not track you. They are located in Germany, outside the USA legislation. They have a strong data protection. Regarding DDG, they are based in USA, which is not very secure if you want to keep your privacy. Same happens with Brave search. You should have a look :wink:

Part of Startpage was bought by an American company. Considering that, it is not as secure as in the past when it was only from Holland. I would do my best to avoid it. Swisscows from Switzerland and Metager, look much better options right now.

Privacy is good, but it depends on the search results too. Not sure how well Metagar performs

Search queries are relayed to as many as 50 search engines.The results are filtered, compiled and sorted before being presented to the user. Users can select the search engines to query according to their individual choices among other options (such as “check for availability and sort by date”).Privacy protection is implemented by several features: MetaGer provides access to their services only through encrypted connections. As of December 2013, there is also a TOR Hidden Service (b7cxf4dkdsko6ah2.onion/tor/) that allows users to access the MetaGer search functionality from within the TOR network.Since February 2014 MetaGer additionally offers the option to open the result webpages anonymously (“open anonymously”).

I will check. Also that onion address is a v2 address which has been discontinued by Tor, they might have a v3 address also now.