Passed! My CompTIA exam

Today I passed my Security + exam. Since I discovered StationX I passed my A+/Network+/Security+. So I just want to thank everyone at StationX. Great content and a great blog. Keep it up

4 Likes

Congratulations! This is a significant day ! :grinning:

1 Like

Congratulations! A big milestone. Did u do 501 or 601? I’m doing it next month.
What u planning on doing next?

1 Like

I did the 601 but I don’t know if that was really the right decision at the moment. There is just a lot more study material for the 501 right now. And it really doesn’t matter which one you get. Security + is Security + nobody cares for which one you passed.

And I have no idea what I’m going to do next. First I will have a look around to see what I really like. So if you know something that is really practical, let me know.

And good luck with your exam. You will succeed :muscle:t3:

1 Like

Am also doing 601 coz of the topics on Cloud. Yeah, material is limited. Professor Messer’s videos are mostly out now, thank goodness.

I was thinking of eJPT next. Its very practical and looks like a solid foundation in pen testing but unsure about its marketability. OSCP is too far out of my league at this stage. Heard mostly bad things about CEH. So the most practical, cheap, fun and value adding thing right now might be to go all out with CTF’s and wargames.

Let us know what you get up to next!

1 Like

If you go for the 601, I have another tip for you: p.
Study Professor Messer’s course notes very well.
When I was doing the exam I thought I should have put a little more time into those notes. Those notes are really very useful.

And I’ll let you know what I’m going to do next.

1 Like

Congratulations and all the very best!

1 Like

Congrats Edwin

1 Like

@SamM I have watched some videos and I will continue with the CompTIA path. I started with Pentest+.

The Pentest + video training from TotalSeminars includes a nice pdf with a good comparison with CEH.

1 Like

Cool! But isnt Pentest+ not practical like all other CompTIA certifications? I’ve heard its a tough exam though. If I took CompTIA path, Im thinking of CySA+ first, then Pentest+ due to my limited knowledge.
I wish CEH had a better reputation. ‘Certified Ethical Hacker’ is such a catchy name for a cert.
All the best with it and Im sure we’ll hear good news stories from you in coming months :v:

The name is nice but this says it all.
EC-Council is money money money.

But we’ll see again how far I can get. lol

1 Like

Pretty sure you’d already know this but Tryhackme has a PentTest+ learning path. Now Im getting tempted to do Pentest+ myself…but one thing at a time. First I’ll need to get through S+ sighhhh.

1 Like

No, I did not know that. thanks for the advice. I immediately subscribed to the channel of
Motasem Hamdan. Super nice. Thanks again!
And for Security+ I say it again. Focus on Professor Messer’s Course notes.

1 Like

Cool thanks. I’ve finished with his videos. Shall buy the notes soon. Cheers

I now have a subscription at tryhackme. (for practice exercises)
And it is really AWESOME!
thx again :clap:

1 Like

Nice!! I’ve tinkered around a few of these CTF type sites, but haven’t paid for any. Wanted to get some level of theoretical knowledge through my certs before going all in. Hoping to spend a big chunk of my time at tryhackme in the next few months.

I am reading a pentest+ book and I came across this website. I thought maybe others could benefit from this too.
https://pentesterlab.com

1 Like

Another awesome resource. Thanks for sharing Edwin. Lucky to have such great choices.
Can’t wait to get into these after finishing Security+. Been in lock down down-under and have had to postpone the exam a couple times. Don’t wanna risk it by taking at home. Lets see how it goes.

1 Like

Taking the exam in person is much better than at home. Every little move you make at home can cause you to fail the exam. And you also feel less watched in an exam center than at home. (but that’s just a feeling lol) I would also just wait until the exam center is open again.

1 Like

Thanks. Yes, it would affect my ability to focus knowing I am being watched. I understand we are being watched at test centers too, but this seems more intense.

Also since my plan to have S+ completed in June is out the door, I am contemplating enrolling in Pentest+ now. Has anyone tried studying for two certs at a time? I feel like I am ready for S+ so isnt it better to already start building on it by getting into Pentest+ stuff? I’m not very disciplined without a proper pathway. So while I could start on things like Tryhackme/pentesterlab/rangeforce now, I’d rather have the greater purpose of working towards a cert as I learn from those.

The 2nd thing is Pentest+ versus CySA+. If I do end up in IT, I know early jobs are more likely to be on the defensive side simply because its a bigger space with more opportunities. CySA+ seems more relevant for that. But when I look at the curriculum, its so similar to S+. I mean, apart from using specific tools and a knowledge of logs, there isnt much between them. Then is it even worth it? Perhaps doing SOC1/2 pathways from Rangeforce while enrolled in Pentest+ is a better option.

What do you guys think? Has anyone been in a similar situation?