Persistent Backdoor Exploit [Solved]

Hello again! I’m on Zaid’s “Learn Ethical Hacking from Scratch” course(you may already know that) and I’m on the “Maintaining Access-Using a Reliable and Undetectable Method” lecture. I was 4 minutes and 30 seconds in when he uses exploit. He gets results very quick but mine just stays on the first message and eventually times out. No the highlighted text is not part of the download. That message(the blue [*] one) doesn’t change until it times out. What do I do?
Capture

Edit: I’m going to try giving the machine 4096 instead of 2048. I hope this works.

Highly likely it’s the newer version of metapsloit. Please try downgrading it and then doing the same thing

Is there a command to do that? How do I do that?

I just made that backdoor so that question is out. But I still need to figure out how to downgrade metasploit and which version the course uses.

You can install any version from their GitHub repo - https://github.com/rapid7/metasploit-framework/releases. To see installation steps, follow their Readme

By any chance could you take a rough guess on what version is used on Zaid’s “Learn Ethical Hacking from Scratch” course? I don’t want to downgrade too much or too little.

Im just going to test 5.100 for the version. I think I need to delete the other metasploit so I might need to find where that is on the kali machine

Any version before msf5 would be good

Alright. I’m guessing if I want to do the downgrade to use msf4.26 I’d have to delete the msf6. if that’s not the way, please tell me. If it is, I need to know the directory of msf6.

Yes you have to delete msf6. Just google where msf is installed

alright I’ll see if I can find the directory of msf6

That’s weird. Google says the directory is /usr/share/metasploit-framework but that directory only has a folder called “config” that has nothing inside of it. I tried putting the metasploit4.26 file in the config folder but my msfconsole still comes outt as msf6. Do you know what’s happening?

I unistalled metasploit with the [sudo apt-get remove metasploit-framework] command and then reinstalled it but when it turned on it was just msf6 again. I’m very confused.

and I also just tried --auto-remove and got the same results.

I just did something but I’m not sure if it was a good thing. I tried [sudo apt-get purge metasploit-framework] and now I can’t install metasploit with the nightly installer. I don’t know what I did but can you tell me if you know?

Here’s what happens:

and I just fixed that by not using the command the nightly installer said to use. But it still seems to default to 6.1.1.

Run the metasploit from the place where you installed the old version. Let’s say if you installed it in /opt/metasploit-framework. Then run it like this - /opt/metasploit-framework/bin/msfconsole

alright let me try