Python base64 decode returns encoded string

Hi,

I am writing backdoor in Zaid´s course and I have got stuck at downloading images.

Everything works just fine except write_file method in listener. Everytime I download immage from win machine, data get written into file still base64 encoded.

For sake of experiment when I download the .txt it is the same, when I open it, text is encoded. Tried several options from stackoverflow and elswhere but nothing work

This is how my code looks
python

When executed everything run as expected

But when i file downloaded image it say ASCII text

And when I cat it there is base64 encoded data writen in it.

Code from backdor on win machine just for sure
pythonwin

Don’t do encode/decode using base64 as you are sending bytes itself over the socket. Base64 is meesing up the magic numbers of the jpg file. Just directly read and write it and it will work

It doesn’t work. It is even in the course, that images can’t be downloaded this way. It works just for .txt

It is throwing this error

Which python version are you using? I am using 3.8.3 and it works on mine. I am just opening a JPG file using rb and writing the contents of that to a variable x using f.read() and then while receiving it, I am opening a new file using wb and just doing f.write(x). While doing file test.jpg in the terminal, it is showing JPEG file.

Well, I rolled back to the previous version I had and went through it again… now it works perfectly, even though I cant find difference.

Python 3.9.x

Glad it worked. There are a lot functions/libraries that start acting weird with different versions