Security cameras

Many home security systems use port forwarding so you can view it on your cell phone or laptop when traveling. For example, my security cameras use a specific 192.168.x.x address, and go through ports 18004. How can I determine if these are “hardened”, and if not, what can be done about it? As time goes by, this is a very popular situation.

Also, our router is only accessible for editing through our ISP. This has also become prevalent here and (I would think) elsewhere. So going through Shodan, it only shows the ISP. If I try to log in via Shodan, no combination will work. So is this a secure way to stop router break ins, assuming there’s no wireless access?

You can almost guarantee that the cam wont be hardened. Running vulnerability scanners against it might show something. Search/google for the make/model and security issues for a history.

Im not sure what you mean by “our router is only accessible for editing through our ISP” Is the cam available to the Internet?

The solution is to use openvpn to vpn into your network(setup on the router or an internal box) and access the cam that way. This way you only open a VPN to the internet that requires strong auth and openvpn is a safer bet that a random cam against vulnerabilities. You can always do ssh port forwarding too. These are the best methods to access anything on an internal network.

Also the IOT devices need to be isolated internally as described in the course.

What I meant (and you may run up against this a lot) is that you can’t directly access the router via the gateway. If you try, it brings you to the ISP login webpage - meaning you actually CAN’T log into your router if the internet is down. All of the sites listed in this segment for port checking, including Qualys (who called me within ten minutes of signing up, btw) said the ip address was down. I couldn’t telnet in, either - connection refused. I use Cablevision, but I believe Time Warner and Verizon are the same.