[Solved] Backdoor abilities VS Rootlet abilities

So what can a backdoor do? It sounds like a rootkit.

So what’s the difference between a backdoor and a rootkit?

Okay, so from my understanding it’s like this:

Rootkit- Hacker infects computer with code that gets into the kernel and bios of a System and is pretty much indestructible. It’s like a RAT GOD! lmfao. An this RAT GOD can pretty much act like a normal RAT and do the same things a RAT can do if not more.

Backdoor- You didn’t really talk about the abilities of a backdoor and the abilities you did talk about, made it sound like a Rootkit. Sounded pretty much like the same thing as a Rootkit. It can take over your system like a RAT, it can watch and see everything you’re doing, like a RAT and I believe it can survive reformatting, right?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but a backdoor can survive reformatting the operating system, right?

I don’t fully understand the difference, they sound exactly the same. :confused:

A backdoor is a loaded term that is used loosely by the media to mean many types of security problems. But in a more traditional definition it is usually a secret method of bypassing access control into a system. A virus, rootkit or malware can create a backdoor. But also a configuration change can create a backdoor such as the example of the weakening of the random number generator, based on the NSA’s Dual_EC_DRBG algorithm. A backdoor can be deliberate or accidental. They can be specifically coded into something or even used by the owner to gain access to their own systems like with port knocking.

Don’t worry too much about the exact names of malware as there is no official taxonomy. You only need to understand the potential of bad code and what it might generally be called.

The only malware that can survive an OS reinstall / reformatting is one that resides somewhere other than what is being deleted or reformatted. This can be in the BIOS or firmware as an example. A rootkit generally only resides on disk not in firmware. But some of the new malware you can call firmware rootkits that reside in firmware.

Hope that helps.

Alright, I’m only half way through the first course. Are you going to be going over port knocking in any of the other courses?

Also, the main question is are we going to actually spend any time hacking in terms of practicing? We’re supposed to be going from beginner hacker/ pen tester, to Advanced. So far we are just going over how to protect ourselves from other hackers and the Government. We’re just going over Basic information. So is it like that later in the first course to, an what about the rest of the courses? Do we actually practice hacking anything or is this just all information on different things, but we don’t actually hack anything as a class or find vulnerabilities in a system as a class? :confused:

Do we use command line, Metasploit, anything? If yes, what do we use it on exactly? I just feel like I’m not getting anywhere, I’ve been trying to learn this stuff for like three years and I’ve not done anything with it at all. I’ve been learning information but I have not done anything with that information. Didn’t know how to. So it feels like I’m just gonna get information out of this course without knowing how to use it after and still be stuck. If this is the case, then maybe this field is too complicated for me and I should pick a different career. I really don’t want to because I don’t know what else I’m going to do exactly. I’ve been trying to learn this for three years and I still can’t hack anything.

This is a cyber security course. Which means it is heavy on defense. We explore hacking in terms of demonstrations but only to understand it from a security perspective. A security expert is not a pen tester. A pen tester is a single discipline within the domain of security, This is not an ethical hacking course. This course teaches defense more than attack which is most what security is about. The course at the start is informational and background then later mostly shows how you can defend against attacks. If you want to understand the content of the course then go through the goals and learning objectives video and or read the summary. It talks through what the course covers. You might want to try an ethical hacking course if you want to learn more details about the attack side. But still any top pen tester would need to know the content of this course too. The attack side is a specific discipline within the security domain. You also have the option to process a refund if you fell you might not have the course you are looking for. Hope that helps.

Hello,

I don’t mean to intrude these are the only topics that came up with ‘rootkits’ digging to understand this area, because I’ve been a victim and still presently am of “root kit or bios in firmware” that can’t be deleted nor reformatted no matter how many attempts (having personally tried myself), but I used the quick search for solutions to my problems.

I am a new student just enrolled for the VIP yesterday and got to this part of the very first section in the video about forums (gots a long way to go)

Could anyone point me, and I don’t mean to skip the entire course but will go back to it and I won’t if it requires watching thorough through as a sequence leading to the part I can eliminate that implanted spyware and eliminate the adversary?? (Whichever is recommended)

So how to remove this covert program BIOS or firmware or firmware rootkit?? I recently come across a blog post just a few days ago before I discovered about this course telling that doing an entire hard drive disk wipe, disk utilities should do it, yet still not 100% guaranteed would be the solution for this matter but haven’t acted upon it

See The complete cyber security course volume 4. I think you emailed me. If you have firmware malware you are in trouble. This may be removed by flashing it but often you just need to throw it away.