[Solved] Rules and Regulations on Home made testing systems

[Just bought more classes and was answered by Zaid]

Some background, I am studying these courses and plan to keep investing my time to learn more of these skills. As you are all aware, practicing also referred to as “hands on” is the best form of learning.

Heres the questions, I want to learn Penetration testing and more skills using my own products to find holes to cover them up, Are there any rules or regulations which I must follow. Ie if I start attacking my Home broadband, Could i potentially alert my broadband providers and get a knock on the door?

In my mind the products are mine meaning i can use and abuse it correct?

What kind of testing platform do you have which i could potentially replicate. How do you better your skills? Do you have any recommended reading, additional courses?

Thank you

Would you mind sharing the answer you got from Zaid?

On Zaids lessons, he has recommended the use of 3 different virtual machines:

-Attacker machine - Kali Linux
-Victim 1 - Metasploitable.
-Victim 2 - Windows
This is a good base line which I was going to follow but i didnt want to switch to each VM or have multiple running to gain a “close to realistic test”

Using this as a template, rather than running each machine under a virtualization machine (which is good since its all compartmentalized and isolated (From Nathans Lessons)) I have decided to host each one separately on a live PC to gain Practical experience.

The principle is still the same, each PC is connected to one Access Point (AP) and its a matter of trying to find the whole and attacking from there - At the moment I have not cracked my own WIFi, I have monitored, blocked certain packets for a momentary time and achieved the handshake however I need a bigger word dictionary to crack the password.

So my question of:
Are there any rules or regulations which I must follow. Ie if I start attacking my Home broadband, Could i potentially alert my broadband providers and get a knock on the door
This hasnt been answered but I have decided to take the initiative since I am a student and this is my aim and objective.

What kind of testing platform do you have which i could potentially replicate
Using Zaids template, I have pretty much used the same however rather than a VM, I have used 3 separate devices which i turn on when i am studying and practicing the lectures.

How do you better your skills? Do you have any recommended reading, additional courses?
I have found this book on this section of Kalis website (https://home.pearsonvue.com/kali) Download link for the online copy: https://kali.training/downloads/Kali-Linux-Revealed-1st-edition.pdf

A fantastic book which breaks down Kali and explains allot from the Ground up (literally from Debian all the way up to Kali)

1 Like