Windows Edge not working with firewall?

Hi,

I’ve been following lesson 18 in volume 2 in your cyber security course and I can’t get the application windows edge browser to work.
I’ve downloaded the binsoft app to manage the firewall as you recommended.
I’ve blocked all (on medium setting, as you recommended), and as you suggested only allow certain apps through implicitly on certain ports.

I’m running Windows 10 through VMware.
I got my ip address by going to the command prompt and entering ‘ipconfig’.
I then go to the firewall application and entered a multiple different port numbers to allow microsoft edge (ie: 80, 135, 445, etc) but Edge is still giving me an error.

Any thoughts?

I don’t understand what you are trying to do? Can you elaborate step by step what are you doing?

I did the exact same thing as shown in the video and I have access to the internet using edge.

Hi @Apurv-StationX, these are the steps I’m using:

And its still giving me the same internet error.

Uploading: Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 12.32.03 PM.png…

I select the application from the program files.

I then enter in the port numbers as per the video, for the custom ports.

I go to the application I selected, and it gives me this error.

It is not working because you are setting local port as 80. An application can use any port for listening (local port). The range for local ports or listening ports is 49152 to 65535. It comes under dynamic ports. You just have to change local port to all ports or in the range 49152 to 65535 and remote port to 80 or 443 and it will work fine.

Thanks @Apurv-StationX
I changed the ports as per your mention and I’m still getting the same error on my browser.
This is so confusing to me, I feel like this should work, and I’d really like to implement this on my home computer.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Here below is what it looks like with errors still.

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 7.20.02 PM

Is it working when you have it set as All Ports for both local and Remote? It is working fine on my PC

Yes, @Apurv-StationX
As seen in the picture below, if I leave everything blank then I have no problem accessing the internet.

But this makes me think then that this is not very secure?

How can I tell how to make this work, using local/remote port numbers and local/remote ip addresses?

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 7.42.34 PM

Hey @RachelVB, I don’t understand why it is not working. I tried it, and it’s working without any problem on my system. I kept Local Port to All Ports and changed Remote Port to 443,80, and it was working fine.
Can you check if you have any previous rules for this particular application in your rules? If yes, then try to remove that and later try this method. If not, then I am not sure what I can say about this.

So @Apurv-StationX
I was able to sort of figure it out.

First off, I switched to Firefox as my browser.
Then I kept Local ports to ALL.
Then in Remote ports, I entered in ‘443,80’ for the port numbers (without quotes).
Then in Local addresses, I entered in my IP address.

This worked no problem.

Not sure why I was getting so much trouble with Edge.

It’s good that it worked out. I think there may be some problem with your version of Edge.

1 Like