Windows Management Interface Command

I currently have Windows 11 Insider Preview. As per lesson four of the 11th Section of the The Complete Cyber Security Course! Volume 1: Hackers Exposed, I tried to run the wmic command, and it threw me this response: wmic is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I went on youtube to find a solution. I had to change on the Advance System Settings, and several other things I found online. Nevertheless, regardless of what I tried, I’m been thrown the same error. Can anyone help?

I think it’s because wmic has been suspended since WIndows 10. Read here - wmic - Win32 apps | Microsoft Docs

1 Like

The error states that the WMIC is not recognized as an internal or external command. Windows displays this error message when it does not find the WMIC in the system path. To solve this problem, you have to define a System Variable by adding the path of the WMIC executable file.

Open the advanced System Properties window (you can open the System page with Windows+Pause/Break) and on the Advanced tab, click Environment Variables. In the section for system variables, find PATH (or any capitalization thereof). Add this entry to it:

%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem

Note that entries are delimited by semicolons.